Saturday, November 28, 2009

I may have lost the lump but I sure as heck gained a battle scar

I am sitting here at my computer waiting for the pain to stop. I am going almost a full twelve hours without having to take any pain medications but I am now paying for waiting too long between doses. Once the pain starts to come full swing it is excruciating and it takes almost two doses to dull the pain. It's funny actually because the rest of the area is incredibly numb except for the area itself.
I have no feeling in my left shoulder but if I happen to raise my arm, the pain just radiates everywhere. The incision is on my neck, but I am guessing that raising my arm puts a lot of stress and/or tension on the neck area itself. I can't lift more than ten pounds but even holding a jug of milk is sometimes too much.
Driving is almost comical. I have to turn my whole body to the left if I need to look left. Turning my neck to the right is almost back to normal. Backing out of my driveway is a challenge but I am lucky that I don't have a busy street and most of my neighbors are courteous to me if I happen to backing out when they are coming down the street.
I am getting used to the stares from people. I know in my heart that they are not really trying to be rude and most likely are just trying to figure out what happened to me, but the other day there was this one moron at the gas station that actually asked what I did to myself. I figured I give in to his stupidity and I flat out told him I missed. No smile, no giggle, no just kidding. He actually just stared at me while I finished pumping my gas.
I don't mind people coming up to me and asking. It is human nature to be curious. My whole family at our Thanksgiving dinner would come up to see the infamous line that runs from the dip of my clavicle to the back of my ear. It is a good seven inch incision. One that will probably take at least a half a year to fade. Hopefully it won't be long before I can start using vitamin E to help with the diminishing of the scar that will surely follow.
When I get the courage and am not so tired. I will surely gross all of you out and post a pic. I would kind of like a memento of what it was like.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I am so so so happy to hear that it's not cancer! Yay!!

Sorry I've been MIA, just had a lot going on here at my home, and I knew that you were dealing with this and your own family stuff too.
But yes, you must post a picture! I want to see it in pictures if I don't get to see it in person!

But as for the vitamin E to help fade the scar, yeah, that works, but Mederma works much better.
http://www.mederma.com/
I used it on my stomach incision, it was 12 inches to the left and slightly above my belly button, all of the way down to the pubic line.
Mederma worked on that scar so awesome, you can barely see it anymore.
I would have had the teens put in my back scars, but I kind of like those ones and I want to get a tattoo around them, a big zipper and then a piercing at the top with an actual zipper pull...LOL

Anyway, it is just such good news, I am so freaking happy for you!
This is really awesome news Mindy, really awesome.

Take care of you, love ya!