Monday, February 1, 2010

Getting my house in order....

or in other words, reevaluating the situation.
Chris has been "laid off" for the last two weeks, although he has put in about 40 hours total on researching and putting proposals together in hopes that his boss or as I fondly refer to him as Mr. Incompetent, gets more work. Chris has also done a few minor jobs for Mr. I. with the promise that he will catch up with him later regarding payment. Mr. I. was supposed to call Chris over the weekend to discuss whether or not he could bring Chris back on to work.

Apparently the condition would lie on whether he got some work from a condominium complex. My mother happens to be the office manage for this Condo association and they elected new board members that want to put off some of the necessary work until they get a better idea where they stand financially. Also the President of the board mentioned to my mother that they are still waiting on some proposals. Not the one's that Chris slaved over. So... apparently Mr. I. has failed to communicate with his potential client. Mr. I. has also failed to communicate with Chris. Chris did try to call him yesterday evening only to be thrown right into voicemail. He didn't leave a message because Mr. I. NEVER checks his messages. How the hell can you run a company when you don't answer your damn phone or check your damn messages?

Chris found out on Friday that two out of the four men that were laid off - which means all of Mr. I's employees - were brought back on. All four of the employees did do some work for the two weeks that they technically were out of a job (with the understanding that Mr. I would catch up to them later as far as payment). I don't think that I have to tell you how that made Chris feel. Chris is/was the supervisor. Of all the employees you would think that Chris would be made aware of the situation with the company. Mr. I. is in deep over his head with his creditors, vendors and is cash strapped. At least that was the circumstanes two weeks ago. He "laid off" his guys in hopes that he could turn his financial mess around by getting the work done himself and getting payments in. But, the guys did work for him. They just didn't get paid.

Hopefully, today, Chris will be able to track Mr. I. down to at least get some idea what to expect. Chris will let Mr. I. know that if he can not bring him back on for a few more weeks that Chris will need to file unemployment. It is what it is.

Which brings me to the title of this post. I have been scrambling around my house looking for things to put on Craigslist. We have too much stuff and it is time to downsize. We also put Chris' Mazda 626 up for sale. Originally we wanted to give it to Jeff but we need the money... sigh... I am looking over other financials and there are a few things that I need to go over. One is looking for cheaper life insurance. I have been getting life insurance quotes but so far what we have is the cheapest.

Also it is more than likely that we will have to move once our lease is up. So far the landlords have been extremely kind and understanding. They renewed our lease last year with no rent increase but this coming October I have a feeling that they will not be able to afford that same kindness again to us. They still owe on this house. A lot more than what it is currently valued for and their taxes have increased since they no longer have a homestead tax credit. I am not looking forward to move again but if we can find something cheaper ( and believe me, I don't think we will have that problem) then it is the smart thing to do. The less money we have to shell out the more we can be better prepared for when things get rough. I don't make enough money with my business to be able to pay all the bills. I do contribute significantly but I don't make enough. Either I get more clients or I need to quit it all together and get a regular 9-5 job. My chances of finding more clients fair well above finding a job. I have looked. It's not a pretty site to see so few job listing in the newspapers or on Monster.com or even on the unemployment website.

No comments: