Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Out with the old, In with the new (sort of)

Chris has sold the truck that we were given by my parents.Well, not really given to us, I have exchanged car payments for cleaning their home twice a month for three years. Still, that isn't a bad thing. We might not have the truck anymore but my parents still have another year on their cleaning contract. Which is all good. People are starting to take heed of my services in the mobile home park that my parents live in.

It was important that Chris had the truck earlier because he was working.  Now that he is unemployed and going back to school, the truck wasn't an economically sound vehicle to have. We are not down to one vehicle, we were given Chris' parents Exterra.  Chris' mom bought a new vehicle ( I can't remember the name of it right now) and they had no need for the Exterra so it was passed onto us. 


Exactly like the one we now have

It is a lot better on gas than the F250 and I will be the one driving it mostly since all my cleaning supplies will fit much better in it than my Malibu, which was also given to us by Chris' parents 4 years ago. The Malibu is a 2001 and only has 82,000 miles on it.  The Exterra has less than 53,000 and it is a 2004.


 . 
Surprisingly the Malibu's trunk is deep enough to store most of my equipment in but it made unpacking and repacking the equipment a time consuming chore.  Not that I wouldn't keep doing it if I didn't have the Exterra. The Malibu will be the car that Chris drives back and forth to school in.  A lot less money wasted in gas, that is for sure.


I am extremely grateful to have the kind of parents that we do.  They have saved us from the headache of having car payments and/or allowing us to barter other services so that we could have safe and sound running vehicles.  That is what family should do for each other.  That is what we have always been taught and learned by example.  If our kids ever need that kind of help, I am hoping that we will be financially sound to be able to do help just as our parents have helped us.

No comments: