Saturday, December 26, 2009

I want to be a fireman when I grow up

at least that is what my nephew, Joey, says now. For as long as he could talk though he has been fascinated by the firefighters. He does have the same drive as my son, Jeff. Jeff knew at a very early age that he wanted to be some kind of engineer and he is pursuing that field now in college. I have no doubt that Joey will most likely follow in Jeff's footsteps at least with the same determination of his cousin.
I told my sister, Amy, that it is most likely a good career choice and they do get a good salary once they have been in the career for a few years and that he would be able to obtain a Bachelor of arts in fire service administration. I was never aware that you could actually get a degree in that kind of field. I just thought you had to go through a basic training course and maybe an academy to get the experience. Then again, I never wanted to go into the fire fighter's union. So unless you know what you need to do to obtain that goal, you really never give it much thought.
Joey has several more years to really decide. He is 8 1/2 years younger than Jeff and therefore has those years to change his mind if he wishes. But like I said before, he reminds me a lot of Jeff. He is in the fourth grade but really he should be a grade above. My sister decided to keep him in the appropriate grade level for his age because socially he needs some work. He is EXACTLY like Jeff in that area. Smart as a whip but has NO common sense and his social skills with others is marginal at best. There must have been something "special" in the prenatal pills back in the 90's because I have no clue where the boys got their intelligence. Seriously.

No comments: