Monday, January 17, 2011

Keeping a cork on Mt. Vesuvius.

It has been a long while since I have had to deal with an ulcer of any type.  Decades really... then all of a sudden... WHAM! Right out of left field it hit! 

It was so bad this afternoon that while we were out shopping, I had Chris go to CVS to get some Gaviscon.  As soon as we came out of the store I was ripping into the bottle like a crack fiend looking for their next hit. After popping four of those puppies into my mouth and chewing like there was not tomorrow the burning pain stopped.  Oh how I love Gaviscon.  Nothing else can stop the pain. Not Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta...nothing! I won't be needing any appetite suppressants since I won't be eating much for the next few days.  When my ulcer is aggravated there is only so much I can eat that will not set off Mt. Vesuvius.  I have stress to blame this episode on.  When I get severely stressed the production of acid in my stomach grows by leaps and bounds.  I just have to reset my mind into letting things go and stop worrying and stressing on things that I can not control.  I have to remember that God has this and leave it in his hands. 

The first time I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer, I was fed intravenously for over a week.  Nothing was allowed to enter my stomach .  The ulcer was the size of a half dollar and it was almost through my stomach lining. If it had been any bigger, surgery would have been needed. When I was allowed to eat, the only diet I could go on, consisted of foods that wouldn't take much acid to break down.  I was on nothing but baby food for two months.  Then gradually I could eat soft palate foods, like mashed potatoes and cottage cheese.  Once it completely healed I found out that I could no longer tolerate spicy foods.  Even mild salsa will bring a twinge of discomfort, so, I eat all that in moderation and limit it to a few times a year.

I have eaten cottage cheese with a few pears today to keep the acid from eating away at my stomach and  I have been chewing Gaviscon on and off to help settle the too much acid that has already invaded my stomach. I may just be able to sleep tonight without too much discomfort and the Gaviscon will be on my nightstand in case I need it. I sure hope not.





No comments: