Thursday, March 31, 2011

Talk about having your own pharmacy..

I cleaned for my grandmother (the one with Alzheimer's) recently, and I could not get over the fact that she has so many pill bottles in her medicine cabinet, and it has overflowed to her cabinet under the bathroom sink.  Very few are prescribed medications.  Most of the bottles she has are supplements of one kind or another. She has five different kinds of daily vitamins, vitamin b complex, black kohash (used mainly for women in menopause, which she is well over it by now), ephedrine pills (seriously) and the list just goes on and on. 

The thing with my grandmother, is that she doesn't take any of it anymore.  She just doesn't like to throw things away.  She grew up in the depression and most people that lived in that era, do not let go of anything. She has clothes from when she was first married that she still wears. Fortunately for her it never went out of style either that or old people can wear what they want and no one notices. She has bed sheets so thin you can see right through them. Yet, she still washes and irons them and puts them on her bed. Her freezer, up until a few days ago, contained food that had been in there for years. When my mom decided to clean out the fridge, my grandmother actually argued with her that the frozen food was still good. Never mind the fact that pork chops from 2000 were grey, it was still good because it had been frozen.  My grandmother at times can be quite comical in her thinking. Not necessarily funny, just odd in the way that she perceive things.

While I was cleaning her bathroom, I somehow kneeled wrong and my knee was killing me the rest of the time I was there.  She lovingly went into her cabinet and took out a bottle of pain killers and she attempted to hand me one.  The bottle had an expiration date of 1989. I graciously took the pill from her but never consumed it.  I nonchalantly threw it in the waste basket.  Nothing like your own grandmother trying to kill you with outdated narcotics.

No comments: