Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Remembering Scooter

Beloved Scooter
November 16, 1994 - October 21, 2008




A week ago last Friday, we said goodbye to our beloved Scooter. We knew this time was coming and we figured we had until the end of the year. In just a short amount of time she rapidly declined. Although she didn't pass away in the presence of her family, the vet assured us she went in peace.

Scooter would have turned 14 years old in November. We were not fortunate enough to have had her the whole 14 years. We found her in a pet shop that the owner rescued from a kill shelter. She was the only dog there that did not bark. She coward in her pen and she looked so pitiful that I had to check her out. Chris and I fell in love with her immediately and we made her a part of our family. She was five years old. That is somewhat middle aged for dogs but we didn't care. It took her almost a year to get used to us and she had several bad habits that we broke her of but she was the best dog we have had in my opinion.

She loved us unconditionally and she always demanded our attention. She would wrap her paw around my leg when she wanted some loving. When we brought the puppies into our home she was a bit miffed but she took to them like a mother and the puppies absolutely adored her.

For a week Reese has been in mourning. She has taken over the blanket that Scooter had and will defend it from Bentley and the cats. Bentley took to whining at night and scoping the house in search of Scooter. They have gotten used to Scooter not being around but they are taking over in the affection department.

I have had many dogs in my lifetime but Scooter holds a very special place in my heart. I will never forget the big baby.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Aww, I knew you were talking about it, but I didn't know you had done it.

Sorry girl. :(

Mindy said...

Kat - The house seems incomplete without her. I also keep catching myself calling for her.

Now I have to keep Chris from buying another dog. I don't want anymore and he wants to get another BIG dog. I have told him so far that it would be rude to go out and get one shortly after Scooter passing. I don't know how much longer I can keep that up though.