Sunday, July 27, 2008

Killing two birds with one stone.

Since the beginning of summer, I have been spending a lot of time with Katie. Working with her to strengthen her memorization and trying to build her reading skills. It's been a challenge to keep her interest. So I had to come up with things to entice her with.

Every day that she does not put up a fight about her study time, we cook something together. Katie is all about learning to cook. She has always wanted to help out in the kitchen. I can really see her becoming a chef one day.

We do not cook elaborate meals in fact this doesn't involve meals at all. We create healthy snacks. I have gotten quite a few ideas from the Kellogg's Snacktivate site. Katie loves a lot of these recipes. She is also reading the recipes to me and that helps with her reading skills. The great thing about that is she doesn't connect that with helping with her reading skills.

So turning something that she once thought was boring into something fun has made working with her much easier. Also knowing that she is learning healthier eating habits makes me feel a lot better. Teaching her now will help her make better choices when she is older. Now… I just need to work on Chris and Jeff.

No comments: